Sunday, October 31, 2010

We Are Not Alone


Celtic Woman sings a beautiful song giving credit to the people behind the scenes.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up, to more than I can be.

For my last post of October, I want to recognize and thank the ones who have raised us up to be more than we could be.

We have been most fortunate to have many beautiful people who are part of our lives and have traveled with us in one way or another.

Our families have been the backbone of support, learning with us, embracing our new life with open arms from the very first night we found out Wade had Down syndrome. They have walked with us every step of the way.

Our church family has been so wonderful that I wish I could wrap them up and give them as a gift to every other family in the world who has a child with Down syndrome. They have, simply by being themselves, loved and accepted and celebrated Wade for who he is. I often think that no legislation, no matter how detailed the laws, could ever bring about the change that comes with the love of God flowing through humans to those around them. New and better laws can change to a certain extent the way society at large treats our children, but unless the actions come from the heart, they will make little difference in our day-to-day existence. So thanks to the warm-hearted family of God who have made loving a lifestyle.

And what a line-up of dedicated professionals we have had who daily inspire me with their patience, warmth, and caring. Beginning with the service coordinator, and continuing with the therapists and special ed teachers, they not only answer all my questions, and tutor me in what I need to know, but also look at my child as an individual and strive to stretch him to reach his potential. And they do it so skillfully that he doesn't ever feel stretched. Wade thinks he is the luckiest kid around to have all these great play dates every week.

As we have traveled along the way, we have met other families who have been willing to share with us their successes and failures. Through this, I have experienced a phenomenon unlike any before. Never before have I attended large gatherings of complete strangers from all walks of life and felt the strangely warm comfort of coming home to people I have known before. Although genealogists would say we weren't related at all, we know better.

So thanks to you, and you, and you, for raising us up to be more than we could be.

And because we have this wealth of people who raise us up, we are never alone.

But most important of all, we are not alone for God is with us.

We are not an amazing family, but we are owned by an amazing God. Our prayer to Him has been, Teach us how to bring up the boy who is...born. Judges 13:8

And God answers abundantly every day. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

You might wonder why, during the busy days of our lives, I have taken the minutes to blog for the month of October.

I will answer that question with a verse that I think of often as I count the blessings that are ours. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required. Luke 12:48

We have been given so much--extra chromosomes, extra vision, extra compassion, extra love, extra friends, and an extra chance to raise our other boys to be better people than they ever would have been otherwise.

It has been an epiphany like no other, and it's too good to keep to ourselves.

And that is why I blog.


No comments: